Tuesday, July 15, 2008

E3 announcement madness... my take on a couple of things

So there are a lot of things to talk about: from Rock Band 2 announcement mayhem, to the cry of many Sony fans upset that Final Fantasy won’t be an exclusive title anymore… my take on everything below.

First off, there has been a deluge lately of all kinds of Rock Band 2 announcements. The first one being the new, improved, and expensive drum kit. This revamped kit features 4 drum heads, bass pedal and three cymbals. The “standard” kit will feature drum pads that will not be as noisy and will have velocity sensors, slots to clip on cymbals, and a metal reinforced bass pedal. But more impressive is the kit that will be sold separately through a partnership with an outside company, Ion. This kit looks like it has a metal frame, 3 cymbals, and the ability to unplug it from the game to use as an electronic drum kit. It will also be going for $300.

The second big announcement was the track list for Rock Band 2. It features 80+ new songs, as well as 20 DLC songs that will be released for free on the Xbox Live Marketplace. You will also be able to import the songs from the original Rock Band game into Rock Band 2. Harmonix states that by the end of the year, there will be over 500 songs total for Rock Band 2. The tracklist for the game itself is pretty impressive. I am very excited about Presidents of the USA, Dream Theater and Judas Priest being in the lineup, among many, many others! I must say that I am very excited for this game to be released, and yes I started saving.

In other gaming news, it was announced yesterday that Final Fantasy XIII will be released for the 360 as well as the PS3. This has caused large mixed reactions: some are excited for the franchise being opened up to another console, while on the other side there are those who are very upset, and some posting on online forums that “it makes me want to cry L.”

Now personally, I have been a long time fan of the Final Fantasy games, as well as loving my PS2, but when it came to the PS3 or the 360, I wound up going for the 360. I felt that the PS3 was way too overpriced, wasn’t sure at the time who was going to with the DVD format war, and there were no games at launch that caught my eye. I wound up buying my Elite instead when that came out (and I had saved the money for that), and have enjoyed that so much more with the variety of games that have come out for it. I do plan on getting a PS3 in the future, but only once I have an HDTV, and for the sole purpose of a DVD player (Unless the next Kingdom Hearts game is PS3 only).

So yes, I am excited that the next Final Fantasy game was released for the 360, and I will definitely buy it when it comes out. And also, I do think that the fans that are up in arms over this should calm down, and remember that it isn’t being pulled off of the Playstation and becoming an xbox exclusive. If anything, it will make sure that people don’t have to buy another console just to play one game. I think it’s a great move by Square-Enix to open up the game, as it may increase the fan base as well as help revenue.

And just to end this on a lighter note, I bring you this video from G4 which never fails to make me laugh:

No comments: