Thursday, July 31, 2008

Totally Rad Guild affiliate = serious business

I am not a fan of fanboys. They get way too intense over stuff that really isn’t a big deal.

One of my new endeavors has been starting up a new guild in WoW on my server, Stormscale. This guild is a fan guild for The Totally Rad Show. A friend and I had been toying with the idea for some time now about starting a guild in general and this idea dawned on us. First and foremost, we contacted the TRS show. They responded with a very nice email saying: “Go for it!! We'd love the TRS guild to spread to other servers. :)” We get VERY excited and begin the charter business, tabard, etc.

My friend posts on the Totally Rad Guild message board that “Hey we started an affiliate guild on Stormscale for the fans on that server. :)” What do we get? Fanboy hostile reactions:
“what the fuck is this all about?”

“Who knows. I'm guessing its someone that doesn't want to pay for a server transfer?”

“I'm a fan of batman but putting on a mask and a cape to look like him doesn't make me batman. I'm sure there are fans on most realms. Nothing wrong with getting together with like minded individuals all sharing a common interest but there can only be one REAL Totally Rad Guild. Why would people want a bunch of Kind of Cool Guild's across twenty-seven realms when they could transfer over here and group with Goggins, cyber with DrDark or get called an idiot by me? Seems a bit silly if you ask me but whatever. Good luck with it.”


Seriously? I mean, this was a nice effort by us. My friend buys WoW membership cards in the store as he has no credit card. And I live in NYC, have ridiculous rent/bills to pay, and I can’t afford to pay the transfer fee for three characters, which would total $75.

This reaction has turned me sour, I’m not going to lie. I like the TRS guys, I like the Project Lore guys, but this fanboy bullcrap has made me want to take my gold back and not want to be bothered with it. But then there’s the part of me that wants to continue, wants to push through the hostile reactions we got, and make this affiliate just grow, gain more TRS/Project Lore fans, and become something. This is why we started it. We wanted to spread the fan base, and if there are fans on the server, to have a place for them to come and hang out.

On a plus side, we almost have the gold for our first bank tab. We had one hell of an active night last night, and so far it seems like we may prosper if we continue to put work into this. To the fanboys: it would have been nice if you guys welcomed us. It’s not like we were being high and mighty about this. It’s not like we’re trying to make the guys switch servers. We’re fans too.

No comments: