Wednesday, April 16, 2008

It's a hassle to be sick these days...

I hate the US Healthcare system. Most insurances are bullcrap, and the only one that I’ve ever had a decent time with was Aetna. Now I have United Health Care, and I’m longing for the days of Aetna. An example of the crap that I go through with UHC: I need medication for acid reflux, however, my plan with UHC does not cover Nexium (which I have been on previously for a couple of years), and they won’t let me have another alternative because I’m too young. Yes, apparently I am not allowed to have Acid Reflux until I’m middle age or older.

And now I read articles like this: Consumers may see higher co-pay costs. The insurance and drug companies want to implement something called “Tier 4” pricing, which makes patients pay a percentage of the cost of medications, instead of a fixed rate as has been the norm for awhile. That means if someone has cancer, MS, anemia, arthritis and Hepatitis C (among other diseases) could pay thousands more a month for their medication.


“They lower the costs for most consumers, but it does so at a price,” said Avalere Heath President Dan Mendelson.

Insurers call them “specialty drugs” and say relatively few people suffer from these chronic conditions. But some research has found more than 75 percent of Medicare beneficiaries do pay into the “Tier 4” system.


“Relatively few” people may suffer from those chronic conditions, but I highly doubt that they’d be able to afford oh, say $4000 a month for medicines to help their cancer treatment.

Now, I have to admit, I haven’t seen the Michael Moore doc “Sicko” yet. I do plan to. But I’m sure I’ll get more horrified about our health insurance industry here in the states.

And to all you Canadians: Count your blessings. And if this country deteriorates more, who knows, maybe I’ll be moving up there. Oh and stop bragging about how awesome your healthcare system is… heh

No comments: